Saturday, January 30, 2010

Greetings to the Gathered Orphans

I promised them that I would be back. The last post on this blog was about the gathering of working group leaders at the Maua chapel. I told them that I would come back in January, that I would bring others with me to hear their story and be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit.

By the grace of God, I am back. (Hence the update on my blog).

And so as I type this, I am sitting in the back of the same chapel watching Moses - the one who lives on top of the mountain (see blog post about him from last summer below) - stand in front of his peers and listen to Reegan brag about how well he and his group have done. Moses has taken Robert - the child whose house I built last summer - under his wing and taught him how to farm. Evidently, Robert has been doing so well that he now has a cow. Last summer, all he had was a little baby goat named Mara and he was so proud of that goat. I can't wait to go and visit the same farm where I spent two days last summer and see this new cow. A cow means that he has bumped up to a whole new level. A cow means that Robert is doing well thanks to Moses and the support of Giving Hope.

It is hard to imagine the wonders that will be revealed this week and the lives that will be touched. We have already had a few people tear up. We have already said hello to old friends. I am merely glad to have fulfilled my promise - glad to have friends who are doing so well.

So until tomorrow, when I write about the group projects I will visit this afternoon, keep us in your prayers. Pray for Robert and his new cow. Pray for Lucy and her seamstress shop. Pray for Reegan and the staff in Kenya. Pray for the team - especially those who are experiencing Africa and the faith of these orphans for the first time. Maybe they, too, can be so changed that they have no choice but to come back.

2 comments:

  1. Arthur,
    I am excited to read your blog and hear about Moses and Robert. I wish that I was again there with the team. The memories of last July will always be in my mind. I will be praying for you and the team...give my love to Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jean, I am so wishing I were back in Kenya. Such wonderful news about Robert's cow. You and your team are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Profile

Durham, North Carolina, United States
I am the Interim Director of Church Relations for ZOE Ministry (www.zoeministry.org) - a United Methodist Agency that provides relief and empowers orphans of the AIDS Pandemic.